Big Hair Inspiration...Taking Maximum Hold of Your LifeBIG HAIR Inspiration: Just Checking In With You

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Just Checking In With You

Somewhere between the fourth bottle of ketchup and Tampa, Florida, I had a revelation.

It was May 1994. I was about to complete my one-year internship of driving the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile around the country. (Yes, you read that right…but I’m trying to pose a serious anecdote here, so stifle your laughter, please…)

My driving partner and I had the day off. We decided to go to beach and unwind from a year of attending grocery store openings, eating under-, half- and over-cooked meat by-products, and enduring dirty jokes about two females driving a giant hot dog on wheels.

I sat on the edge of the beach, watching the waves flirt with the shore. As the water encircled my knees, I began to think about what was happening in my life.

I had a new job waiting for me in my chosen career field. I was engaged (and now married) to a wonderful man. My student loans were almost paid off. And, as far as I could tell, my conversations with others would now extend beyond, “Can you please pass the relish?”

By all accounts, my life at that moment in time was pretty darn good.

Since then, I have made it a routine practice to “check in” with myself. After all, it’s important to stop and evaluate what is happening in your life at any given moment.

By “checking in” with yourself, you can calibrate the aspects of your life that need to change for the better, while continuing to appreciate the people, places and experiences that bring you joy and fulfillment.

Here’s how you can do it. Find a quiet spot and get comfortable. Be prepared to be totally honest with yourself. Consider the following questions:

  • At this very moment, what is really working in my life?
  • What are some of the things I’m afraid to admit?
  • What resentments or judgments am I holding about people that I need to let go?
  • Am I learning something new each day? Is there something I would like to learn more about?
  • Who haven’t I connected with in a while?
  • Is this where I want to be at this point in my life? Do I need to release some unrealistic expectations?
  • Have I been particularly harsh with someone lately? Have I been holding back on telling someone how they have hurt me?
  • What am I truly grateful for in my life?
  • Should I ask for deli or spicy mustard? (Ooops, I guess some things NEVER change…)

1 comment:

Christine said...

If you went through East Lansing, MI late that year, I met you.

New to your blog...I am going to do the "checking in" thing as well as read more.

Love the new 'do.