Big Hair Inspiration...Taking Maximum Hold of Your LifeBIG HAIR Inspiration: It Was A Dark and Stormy Night

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It Was A Dark and Stormy Night


My toddler, J., has figured out how to catapult himself out of his crib.

I put him down at bedtime…he comes out faster than a hurdler at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium.

Added to that, J. is in a phase where any dog noise sends him into a frenzy of tears. Never mind that our own crazy greyhound barks at the television during the Purina Cat Chow commercials and howls when I sing along with Shakira on my iPod.

Those things don’t bother J.

On Monday night, J. was (finally) in his crib. That night, we had a HUGE rainstorm. The wind whipped through our neighborhood, toppling trashcans and scattering bottles, grass clippings and old issues of my “Home Shop Machinist” magazines.

Throughout the thunder, rain and wind, J. slept peacefully in his bed.

Sometime around midnight, my neighbor let his dog outside. I think this Chihuahua, “Moose,” had his barker removed. He flits around, opening and closing his mouth, but no sound ever comes out. However, on this night, the wind must have thwacked Moose with one of the many empty Otter Pop wrappers from our trash. Maybe he yelped. Maybe he squeaked.

Whatever happened, J. woke from his deep sleep. That’s right. He slept through tumultuous weather conditions, but heard the sound of a bark-less dog.

He jumped from his crib, and ran for cover - screaming and crying. All the way to our bedroom.

Two nights later, J. has now formed a new habit, which consists of escaping from his crib at the slightest noise.

At three this morning, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Mom,” my nine year-old son whispered. “J. is sleeping in the hallway. I almost tripped over him on my way to the bathroom.”

I stumbled from bed and found him sleeping quietly on the floor. As I gathered him into my arms, I felt a sticky substance on his arm. Then I stepped on something cold and mushy. His big brown eyes popped open as I placed him back in his crib.

“Why were you sleeping on the floor?” I asked quietly.

He yawned. “Wanted…Otter Pop.”

Needless to say, I threw out the remaining Otter Pops. For Moose’s sake – and my sleep schedule – I hope the wind isn’t blowing during the next Trash Day.

2 comments:

Blog Owner said...

OH NO!! I keep waiting for Crusher or Bam Bam to figure this whole jumping out of the crib thing. YIKES!! Just learned that Crusher can unlock and open the front door. Call went into the locksmith today. Of course he didn't call back, so being neighbors and all, if you know a good locksmith, do share!

Heather said...

Holy moly! This was the stage I dreaded the most and we're smack dab in the middle of it now, too. Brother wakes and gets up whenever he wants. It's making me nuts! Would it be so wrong to put one of those cat nets on their crib to "encourage" them to stay put? :)